The global Christian church has for two millennia celebrated Resurrection Day in remembrance of Christ’s resurrection from death on the third day. Paul reminds us that this was predicted by the Scriptures long ago (1Co 15:4).
- What does it mean for you that the Bible predicted and foreshadowed the resurrection on the third day?
- Jesus said that they only sign the Pharisees would receive was that of Jonah (Matt 12:39). What correlations can you find between Jonah and Jesus?
What Does This Say About God?
- God is sovereign over all. Nothing scatches him off guard.
- Like Abraham, God sometimes asks us to have faith in him even when we do not fully understand.
- God heard Jonah repent in the belly of the great fish. He is always willing to listen to our cries for help and pleas of repentance.
What Does This Say About Humanity?
- God used many people in the Old Testament to foreshadow the resurrection. He invites us along in his plan of salvation to be used for his glory.
- All of humanity has fallen and is in need of redemption. There are no exceptions.
- Christ is the first fruits of a universal resurrection. Each person who has ever lived will one day be resurrected to eternal life or eternal death.
What Will You Do About It?
For more insight to this passage listen to One More Thing – where our teaching pastors discuss the passage in greater detail using these discussion questions.